Monday, May 4, 2009

What's the deal with Skype?

So my newest obsession that again I'm trying to push through my weekly "What's the deal with ...." is Skype.

Currently there are over 10 million people logged into skype. So I would say that quite a few people are USING it. But I still feel there are several outstanding questions out there for the non-user.

You see -- until a few weeks ago -- I too was a non-user. Now, this doesn't seem to make sense. I mean I have an iphone, blog frequently, live on the web, 5 chat programs and so why didn't I skype? Well, I just didn't. Yeah, a very lame excuse but a honorable one.

I would assume the majority of people have at least heard the name, but I'm going to try to cliff note the tool because once you start using it -- you won't stop. No, it might not replace your landline, cell phone or favorite chat tool -- facebook, aim, yahoo, msn or whatever -- but it's definitely a tool to TRY.


What can I do with Skype? You can chat, make a phone call, make a video call, send a file..ok it probably does more but those are the important ones in my opinion

How does it work? So download the program, create a profile, search for friends and then you can start to interact with them ie chat, call, send files.

Does it cost money? The cool thing is that with Skype you can call another Skype person for free - anywhere in the world! You can also call in-country and out-of-the-country landlines for very very very cheap. Visit www.skype.com for more details.

Can I call landlines with Skype? Yes, there is a cost involved but you can.

Do I have to be in front of my computer for Skype? There is an app for the iPhone which I haven't fully explored yet, but generally the answer is yes.

What's so great about it? The integration of video, voice, chat and file transfer. THE PRICE - free to very cheap - can't beat that.

There are also additional packages to receive a skype phone number, call forwarding and other features. I've met people who have actually replaced their landline with Skype and love it. Also, people traveling in foreign countries are able to call home for fractions of the cost of phone cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment